Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Peach Cobbler Cheesecake

Since I'm in Okinawa, the land of perpetual summer, I started thinking about what I missed about summer time in Oklahoma.  One thing that says summer to me, probably even more so than watermelon, is the peach. 

I grew up with several peach trees which were always loaded with peaches.  I just love a peach, fresh from the tree and still warmed by the hot Oklahoma sunshine.  Our horses loved peaches too and they would stretch their necks as far as they could reach to pick peaches direct from the tree which was just on the other side of the fence.  You could guarntee that there would be no peaches on that side of the tree.  They would chomp those peaches whole with peach juice dripping off their lips and then the seed would fall to the ground as they reached for another juicy sweet fruit.

Summer time in Okinawa is about has hot as Oklahoma, only with more humidity.  However, there are no fresh peaches here.  The only resource I have for peaches is the freezer section of the commissary.  I'm sure those peaches are from South America too!   I purchased some frozen peaches the other day when I was in the commissary.  I had planned to make peach cobbler with them. 

Then last night the thought occured to me that I should make peach cobbler with a cheesecake base.  Now, that would be just over the top!  Oh, and for another twist it has to be gluten free!

So, here it is!



Peach Cobbler Cheesecake

1 box gluten free yellow cake mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla divided
3 8 ounce packages cream cheese softened
3 eggs
3 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar (or splenda)
peaches diced in about 1/2 dice.  I used 1 bag frozen VIP peaches.  If you're gonna use fresh I would say it's probably 3 good sized peaches. 
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine cake mix and chlled butter with pastery blender until the cake mix resembles coarse meal.  Add 1 tsp vanilla.  Reserve about 1/2 cup and press the rest of it into a 9 inch spring form pan.  Bake the crust in the oven about 10 minutes to get it to set.  My gluten free cake mix rose up about an inch.  As soon as I took it from the oven it fell.  I wanted it to be like a sugar cookie crust. 

Next, mix the cream cheese, 3 tsp cream of tartar, and 3/4 cup sugar until creamy and no lumps remain.  Then add the 3 eggs and mix until combined.  Pour batter over the partially baked crust.

Combine peaches, brown sugar and remaining 1 tsp cinnamon and then evenly place the peach mixture over the cream cheese mixture in spring form pan.

Sprinkle the remainng crust/butter mixture over the top of the peaches and bake at 350 F for 50 minutes.  At the end of 50 minutes turn the oven off and leave it in there for an hour.  This prevents cracking of the cheesecake.  After the resting time in the oven is complete chill the entire cheesecake in the fridge for at least 6 hours.

Slice and enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. 3 things, where do you put the 2nd tsp of vanilla, Do you thaw the peaches, did your crust brown the first 10 min, also my cheesecake is still warm after a hour resting time, do I still put it in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dessert was so scumptious, however my friends complained about the crust being to hard, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
In the past, about every 4 or 5 years I'd have to reinvent my self. My husband recently retired, with 24 years service, from the United States Air Force. We had the opportunity to live in Okinawa Japan for a total of 7 years. Now that he has retired we are back in the USA and again, trying to reinvent ourselves. I make a living as a mobile pet groomer. However, my passion is scuba diving and at some point I'd like to live in the Florida Keys and make a living as a Scuba diving professional, in some capacity. We recently, in an effort of reinvention, purchased a Keystone Passport Elite travel trailer. We're looking forward to traveling around and enjoying the great outdoors.