Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Chicken Soup - That's What I Need





     It all started last night.  My head began to ache and my nasal passages felt like they were closing in on me.  Even my teeth were beginning to hurt.  Blech!  How can I be getting sick?  I have not been anywhere but facebook in the past few days!  Marc suggested that it might be mold.


     You see, he still has that stupid pumpkin.  You know, the one that was so charming on Halloween.  Well, it's still here.  He has been lighting a candle in it every night. 



 Last night when I complained of my head hurting he suggested that it might be mold.  Mold from the pumpkin.  Apparently the stupid thing is growing mold.  But, has he thrown it out?  No way! Look at the way it just sits there mocking me! Thankfully, it's gone now.  However, I'm still not feeling so great.  


     So, today I lazed around.  Big surprise there, right?  No really, I stayed in bed until 9:30.  That is a rare thing for me.  So, I got up  to take a hot shower.  I thought to my self that I was really glad that since I had to get sick it is better now than in two weeks.  In two weeks I'll be on my way to get my kitties in OKC.  I do not want to be sick on a trans-Pacific flight.  I've done that before and it's no fun.  Trust me on this!


    To top it all off we had planned to go get flu shots today.  I guess if I'm sick I will not notice any side effects from the flu shot.  Right?  


     Marc came to get me about 2 pm.  We got to the immunizations clinic and there were 12 people ahead of us.  Lots of families in there with small children waiting for flu shots.  Lucky for us they were all on good behavior.  That's the thing with military kids, they are either great kids or total brats!  Sorry no photos from the immunization clinic.  


     On the way home from the 18th Medical Group clinic Marc said that he was starting to feel dizzy.  By the time we got home he had declared that he was going to have to lay down.  Poor thing is still asleep on the couch.  


I have decided that what we need is chicken noodle soup.  For most people that is as easy as opening a can.  Not us.  Certainly not us.  I must make everything from scratch in order to avoid contaminating myself with wheat gluten that is assuredly lurking in those little cans with the red and white labels.  Oh well!  


     Lucky for me I have a great chicken and rice soup recipe.  I'll just convert that over to chicken and noodle soup.  I have some gluten free noodles in my pantry that will make an excellent substitution for egg noodles.  


Check out those carrots.  Those are short fat carrots grown in Japan.  They are very sweet and not woody at all.  You would think that they would be tough and nasty. But, they aren't.  I had forgotten how good they are.

  • 2 large chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 3 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
  • 2 or 3 large carrots, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cubes chicken bouillon, crumbled
  • 1 box Swanson Chicken stock (32 ounce) (14.5 
  • 1 pinch dried thyme
  • 1 pinch poultry seasoning
  • 1 pinch dried basil
  • 5 black peppercorns
  • 1 pinch dried parsley
  • 1/4 package gluten free fettuccine noodles broken into 2 inch pieces.  Or regular egg noodles for you gluten eaters.




Place all ingredients, except the noodles, into a stock pot. Bring to a boil.  When the chicken is cooked remove and cut into bite size pieces.  You can also make this with whole chicken parts and then pick from the bones when it is cooked.   After you cut the chicken into bite size pieces add it back to the soup and then bring to a boil. 



 Add the noodles and then return to boil.  With the Tinkyada gluten free noodles I use I just turn the burner off and cover with the lid for about 20 minutes.  If you over boil gluten free noodles they may fall apart.  Feel free to add more water if it seems like it needs it.  



This is mmm mmm good and way better than anything out of a can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
In the past, about every 4 or 5 years I'd have to reinvent my self. My husband recently retired, with 24 years service, from the United States Air Force. We had the opportunity to live in Okinawa Japan for a total of 7 years. Now that he has retired we are back in the USA and again, trying to reinvent ourselves. I make a living as a mobile pet groomer. However, my passion is scuba diving and at some point I'd like to live in the Florida Keys and make a living as a Scuba diving professional, in some capacity. We recently, in an effort of reinvention, purchased a Keystone Passport Elite travel trailer. We're looking forward to traveling around and enjoying the great outdoors.