Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Shelf - As Promised


     Today started out as a lazy Sunday.  Pretty typical for us.  I let Marc sleep until he was ready to get up and wander downstairs to find his coffee.  I was out of bed at 7 am.  I like to get up, drink coffee, and check out Facebook.  This has become my morning ritual.  Sad, I know.  


     Yesterday afternoon we bought some pre-made Cedar wood panels to construct a shelf for my bathroom.  Today, we agreed, was the day that we would construct the shelf.  We actually have enough materials to make two shelves.  


     So, we started out by dragging out the power tools and the portable work bench to our garage.  Oops!  We don't have a garage.  What I meant to say was the front yard.  Sorry, this photo is a little fuzzy.  There was a bit of condensation on the lens.  






     Here, this one is a little better.  This panel is about 6 feet long and almost 34 inches wide.  We decided that for the space we have we need to rip it right down the middle, leaving three slats on each side.  


     Marc has a cordless power saw.  He complains about this saw every time he uses it.  I have tried to get him to buy a saw with a cord.  He prefers to complain.  Today was no different.  





     See the look on his face in the photo below.  That is a result of the complaining!  I suggested that we just go to the Base Exchange and buy a corded saw.  No, he said, "we have to get this thing cut before it starts to rain".





     "See those clouds," he said, "it will be raining in an hour or so!"





     So, we pressed on and managed to get one panel cut to specifications.  We only went through 3 batteries.  These 18 volt batteries are old and it's next to impossible to find them.  Lowe's had some new ones when we looked back in the summer.  They were $40 each.  Well, heck for that I could buy a power saw!  So, since it was going to rain anyway we decided to go to the BX to get a new freaking saw!  

     Oh, and look at my front door.  That is horrible!  We wound up with the oldest junkiest housing on Kadena Air Base.  All of the other housing areas have been renovated but ours!   Just our luck!





Here is a view of the clouds from the back yard.  It's been like this all day.  The weather here is so different from Oklahoma. At least there I can look at the sky and kind of tell what's coming.  Not here.  



     So, at this point we left to go get a saw.  Oh, and just so you know, it started raining.  It was pouring.  We got to the BX and the parking lot was packed. We had to park way off and walk.  Oh well, that's what umbrellas are for, right?  So, we bought a saw and by the time we got back home the rain was pretty much over.  

     Below is a photo of the pumpkin that we still have. Marc brought it in and put it on the cat tower in the living room and put a candle in it.  If the cats were here this would not fly.  They would not be happy about sharing the tower with a scary pumpkin!





     So, we made it home and got the rest of the panels cut just before it started to rain again.  I was not permitted to take photographs of the new saw in action as I was required to hold the wood panels in place.  After the panels were cut we had to move our workshop inside.  Here we are in the dining area.  I can't call it a dining room because technically it is a multipurpose room which in our case is part living room and part dining room and part workshop and part workout room and we have a freezer in there for good measure.  It's complicated, I know.


So, Marc started putting the shelves onto the main right panel, or is that the left.  Or, does it matter?  I was not permitted to help therefore I could take photos.  I'm sure this photo taking is irritating him.  But, he seems not to notice.





See the rug Marc is sitting on?  He bought that rug from a Turkish guy in Adonna Turkey, right outside of Incirlik Air Base, about eight years ago.  I had no idea he was going to buy it.  It just showed up in the mail one day along with a couple other rugs.    







     Okay, after the shelf was mostly constructed we moved it upstairs to my bathroom.  It's still kind of wobbly at this point because he has a couple more pieces to put on it.  I can't wait to be able to put my things on it!





     Here is another view.  It's almost 6 feet tall.  Don't you just love the public restroom style toilet!  Classy!






Okay, at this point he declared it finished and said I could start putting my things on it.  



     Okay, one more shot just for fun.




     In other news we met our new neighbors.  They moved in about a week or so ago.  They are still waiting on their things from the states.  They seem pretty nice.  They are afraid to venture too far off base for fear of getting lost.  However, they have been out snorkeling at Kadena Marina in the swimming area.  They seem pretty excited about being in Japan.  Just a little nervous about going off base.  We told them that we would be happy to show them around.  They seemed pretty excited about that idea.  I'm not sure what base they came from in the states.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
In the past, about every 4 or 5 years I'd have to reinvent my self. My husband recently retired, with 24 years service, from the United States Air Force. We had the opportunity to live in Okinawa Japan for a total of 7 years. Now that he has retired we are back in the USA and again, trying to reinvent ourselves. I make a living as a mobile pet groomer. However, my passion is scuba diving and at some point I'd like to live in the Florida Keys and make a living as a Scuba diving professional, in some capacity. We recently, in an effort of reinvention, purchased a Keystone Passport Elite travel trailer. We're looking forward to traveling around and enjoying the great outdoors.