Friday, October 30, 2009

Random stuff from a random day!


Yesterday we decided that we needed to go out and search for some aquarium accessories.  I have always kept an aquarium. I had a very nice 60 gallon aquarium in the study of our OKC home.  I loved that aquarium and the fish that lived in it.  Most of those fish were born there.  We had mollys, platys, black neons, blue neons, cory catfish, zebra danios and probably some others that I can't think of.  All in all we had close to 100 fish.  When we came to Okinawa the fish went to live with my sister in her 55 gallon aquarium.

I told Marc that I would not be without my aquarium.  He suggested that I should look into getting an acrylic aquarium since he felt like it would make the trip across the Pacific a little easier.  So, I shopped around and found a 30 gallon acrylic tank with a custom made filtration system.  He was right, it made the trip across the Pacfic just fine.

We have it set up in the living room downstairs.  I just discovered that I do not have a photo of it.  So, let me run downstairs and get one....be right back!

Okay,  I'm back  Now here is a picture of the aquarium.
 

Notice we do not have any fish yet.  but, the aquarium is full of water and it's decorated.  We noticed that there have been some strange white globs collecting on the filter.  Not sure what that is.  I've never seen anything like it.  So, we decided that we really need to step up the filtration and add some floss to the system.

So, we decided to head out to Pet Box.  On the way we saw this giant crab.  I see this all the time.  I thought you might like to see it too.  It's outside of a restaurant which I have never tried.  Maybe one day...




Down just a little bit from the giant crab is this Korean BBQ place.  I have not eaten here either.  I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it, but look at the license plate on the red van.  See the Y on it.  All of the American's have Y on the license plate.  I've never understood this.  I don't know what the Y stands for.  Marc claims that it stands for Yankee.  But, really I'm not sure.  I do know, however, that segregation is not dead!



Okay, moving on....
We arrived at Petbox.  Unlike most Okinawan business, Petbox has a very large parking lot.



Petbox has pets and accessories for dogs, cats, and et cetera pets.   Et Cetera pets?!?  Should I be offended?  Sometimes Japanese thoughts do not translate to the American language.  




So we went in and there were a few people looking at the over priced puppies.  They have a thing for bulldogs and also dachshunds.  There was a kitten in there that they wanted 50,000 Yen for.  That's about $500!  And to think there are stray cats hanging out at the sea wall!





I always feel funny about taking photographs inside of stores.  I had Marc take this photo of this litter box.  This is the craziest kitty potty I have ever seen.  I wonder what my cats would think of it.  I'm not willing to waste $30 to find out.  



So, when we finished at Petbox we decided that McDonalds would be good.  We don't do this very often.  Again, I'm kind of funny about taking photos in restaurants.  So, no McD's photos up close.  I had the double cheese burger, sans the bread, and fries.



Here is another cheesy photo of the ferris wheel.  It was really a nice night.  About 73 degrees with a little breeze.



Here is a vending machine.  These things are everywhere.  I mean it.  If you find yourself in the middle of a sugar cane field, there will be a vending machine.  Don't believe me.  Well, come on over here and I'll show you!



Here is another vending machine that has ice cream which I'm sure is wonderful.  We didn't sample any.  Maybe another time.  I'll be sure and let you know.



I thought you might like to see the orchids.  These are inside the Monkey Store.  For those of you that don't know what the monkey store is, they do not sell monkeys.  The name of the store is actually Make Man Store.  Their sign has a cartoon monkey riding a dolphin.  The sign is in Japanese but it has that monkey and dolphin, so nearly every American knows it as the Monkey Store.



So, we walked all around and took some food to the stray cats.  I know, I'm a sucker and you know what.  I'm going out there to see them again tonight!  We found this dragon thing and Marc was nice enough to stand there so I could take his photo.  See in his right hand, he has coffee from that vending machine.  That giant bottle in his left hand is water.  He brought that from home because he claims he is dehydrated.




Okay, this last photo is a warning about jellyfish.  There is another sign about not swimming in the area.  I think this is their way of keeping the tourists from Tokyo out of the deep water.  As my friend, Amy, pointed out, "check out those swimming trunks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
In the past, about every 4 or 5 years I'd have to reinvent my self. My husband recently retired, with 24 years service, from the United States Air Force. We had the opportunity to live in Okinawa Japan for a total of 7 years. Now that he has retired we are back in the USA and again, trying to reinvent ourselves. I make a living as a mobile pet groomer. However, my passion is scuba diving and at some point I'd like to live in the Florida Keys and make a living as a Scuba diving professional, in some capacity. We recently, in an effort of reinvention, purchased a Keystone Passport Elite travel trailer. We're looking forward to traveling around and enjoying the great outdoors.