Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween - Okinawa Style

Halloween is usually a fun time for us.  We usually have several jack-o-lanterns that Marc spends hours carving. Last year we were in Bonaire for Halloween.  We attended a very cool Halloween costume party at Buddy Dive Resort where we danced the night away with our scuba diving friends.


This year, we are in Okinawa.  However, that doesn't mean that Halloween is any less of a big deal.  In fact, the Okinawans love Halloween.  Some of the local Okinawan stores have been preparing for Halloween for weeks.  There were several haunted houses running both on and off base.  A huge costume contest and street party was planned for the Chatan village shopping area known as American Village.  It's where the big ferris wheel is located.  We were down there earlier in the afternoon and already there were people wandering around in costume.  They had some of the streets blocked off and people were scurrying around everywhere trying to get everything ready for tonight.

I purchased a very nice pumpkin a couple weeks ago at the commissary.  It was very expensive.  They sell them by the pound.  Thirty-nine cents per pound doesn't sound like such a big deal until they plop the thing down on the scale.  I paid nearly eight dollars for a pumpkin.  So, we are not going to have the normal eight to ten jack-o-lanterns this year.  Poor Marc.  We decided that we should at least get one more pumpkin.  After checking the commissary we discovered they were sold out.  Oh well, we'll make due with one.

I wanted to go to the Monkey Store to check out some building materials for a shelf that I want to make for the bathroom.  Marc decided that it was well past lunch time and so we decided to go to McDonald's  It got over my fear of taking photos in there.  Below is something that I have only seen in Japan.  Marc has ordered it before.  We don't know what it is.  He said it is like a creamy crab cake with teriyaki sauce on a bun.  It's not my thing.  But, he likes it.



Today he had the teriyaki burger, which is in the picture on the far right at the top on the menu board.  He is very adventurous!  The teriyaki burger is actually a sausage patty that has lettuce and mayo and teriyaki sauce on a bun.  He said it was good.  I had the quarter pounder with cheese (no bun) and fries.  If you are wondering I don't tell them to hold the bun.  I just get rid of it when we get to the table.  I usually give it to Marc and he eats it.



Below are some other photos from around the McDonald's lobby.






So, after we finished at McD's we went into the Monkey Store.  They have these pre-made wood panel things that will work perfectly for the shelf system I want to build for my bathroom.  I say my bathroom because I have my bathroom, and Marc has his bathroom and then there is the downstairs bathroom.  Anyway, the shelf thing is another story for another day.  Possibly tomorrow, just so you don't have to wait too long.

Oh, and here is one last photo of Marc, thinking.




When we got home he started on his pumpkin.  First he cuts the top so that it is more like a lid.  Then, scoop out all the seeds.  He is very careful to save the seeds because he wants to roast and eat them.


He has loads of pumpkin tools but prefers to use my knife for certain parts of the carving process.  He is very serious about pumpkin carving and I am not allowed to help.








Okay, here is where we get really high tech and break out the battery powered pumpkin saw.



Here is the finished product.  Well, I just noticed that it doesn't have the lid on it.  Oh, and please excuse my junky table.  It seems to be the dumping ground for items that need a home.  


Okay, here is the jack-o-lantern outside in the front of the house.  Our plan was to sit out there on those "festive" chairs and hand out candy.  Unfortunately it started raining.


You would think for people who live in a gated community we would take a little more care with the Halloween decorations.  Oh well!



Despite the rain, we did have a lot of trick-or-treaters.  Lots of Okinawan kids too.  They let them come on base to trick-or-treat.  It's kind of fun because they are all nervous and they forget what they're supposed to say.



Hope you have a Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
In the past, about every 4 or 5 years I'd have to reinvent my self. My husband recently retired, with 24 years service, from the United States Air Force. We had the opportunity to live in Okinawa Japan for a total of 7 years. Now that he has retired we are back in the USA and again, trying to reinvent ourselves. I make a living as a mobile pet groomer. However, my passion is scuba diving and at some point I'd like to live in the Florida Keys and make a living as a Scuba diving professional, in some capacity. We recently, in an effort of reinvention, purchased a Keystone Passport Elite travel trailer. We're looking forward to traveling around and enjoying the great outdoors.